Sunday, June 17, 2007

Taking the Long Range View

Did you ever feel that you that missed the whole picture of God’s will for your life because of lack of perspective? The only way to understand things correctly is to see them in light of God’s Word and to trust Him about the wisdom of holding to the long-range view of things. Trials and troubles can be overwhelming when seen only up close. Prayer and reading God’s Word are vital to a healthy outlook on events which happen to us. It is also good to have a trusted Christian brother or sister who can help with thinking things through. Asaph in Psalm 73 is bemoaning the fact that many of the wicked seem to prosper and do not face crises which those who trust the LORD experience. As Asaph evaluates these apparent contradictions of the easy life of the unsaved and the difficulties which the saved go through, he says he was upset “Until [he] went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.” Asaph moved back from the “eye-chart” of his observations and was able to see with God’s perspective. He goes on to say, God “didst set them in slippery place: thou castedst them down to destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors.” Asaph found the quiet assurance which comes from knowing God personally and having the LORD lead him through all of life right into eternity. Asaph confesses: “…Thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Getting God’s perspective on how He loves and cares for us, puts things into their proper order for believers.